Saturday, March 31, 2012

Crowbar - Odd Fellows Rest

Until this week, I had forgotten how good this band used to be, and more specifically, how great this album is.  I've recently been searching my memory for albums that were old favorites to me (ten or so) years ago, and then listening to them to see if they hold up to my new jaded standards.  This one definitely does.  The seismic guitar tone, the clenched-teeth growls, the crippling grooves.  They all sound just as cathartic now as they did a decade ago.  This album was also a turning point for the band, as they went from a Sludgey Metalcore sound to pure Sludge misery.  I kind of miss the faster, Hardcore-influnced parts of their early albums, but the leaps forward in songwriting and production more than make up for it.  This effort is packed to the gills with long, bowel-churing riffs and throbbing beats that seem to go on forever.  This shit isn't for skinny vegans that like jangly Indie Rock (the musical equivalent of a rice cake).  This is for hefty people that like their music thick and dense, like audial meatloaf.




fat music for fat people. it's not just a shitty comp, it's a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment