Sunday, July 10, 2011

Infestus - Chroniken des Ablebens

I know it's been awhile since I posted any Black Metal, and this one doesn't disappoint.  This German band plays in the finest Nordic tradition.  I definitely hear a strong Dissection influence as well as early Setherial.  There also seems to be a hint of "Anthems"-era Emperor  in the clean sections.  One of the first things you'll notice is the lush production that's properly atmospheric without any of the unecessary harshness (also remiscent of Setherial's Nord).  The sound is quite masterful, especially considering how little-known this band is.  Technically, this isn't a band at all, this is one man playing all the instruments, and he does so superbly.  I honestly would never have guessed, and I usually notice lack of technique right away.  Most full-blown Black Metal bands can't sound half as tight as this guy, and they only need know one instrument each!  While it hasn't changed my life, it's a consistently great album.  I pit this against any recent BM release.  This is the real deal: no drum machines, no right-wing political bullshit, no annoying "clean" singing.  This is Black Metal as it was always meant to be: the ultimate in dark and extreme music.



the 'Germs rarely disappoint

No comments:

Post a Comment