Friday, May 13, 2011

Malevolent Creation - In Cold Blood

Whenever I think of Malevolent creation, I'm reminded of me at 13 and how ridiculous my music taste was at the time.   Sure, I listened to Malevolent Creation and Obituary, but I also listened to Kittie and Gravity Kills.  It's a good thing 13 year old can't get tattoos, cause I would surely have a tribal armband too.  Hey, we've all got a past we're not proud of.  For some, it might be a failed invention, or a bad tattoo.  For me, it was Nu Metal.

Far from their most revered or successful, I chose this album to spotlight because it has the best combination of riffs, drumming, and production value (although, admittedly the worst album art).  Brett Hoffman's trademark throaty and sluggish vocals are there too, which I'm not that partial to, but some people love.  Part of what made Floridian Death Metal bands (apart from Morbid Angel) unique was that they displayed their thrash roots much longer into their careers.   Even at this stage, 10 years into existence, it's still evident that they were raised on a hearty Slayer-based diet (which is always a good thing).  You know, Phil Fasciana maybe an attention-seeking media-whore and a racist, but damn if he wasn't a fine guitarist for one of America's most underrated Death Metal bands.

Please enjoy this replacement demo album cover, as the original is too awful to view in it's full glory.


babes. they're called babes, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment