Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Toxik - Think This

I guess it's pretty obvious that I've been on a Progressive Thrash kick lately.  It's really luck that I stubled upon this band on youtube, because I never would have given them a shot based on the super-dated and frumpy artwork (I mean, just look at that third-world mullet!).  It would have been my loss as this album is a pristine technical thrashing.  Expect nimble riffs, time changes, vocal melodies, and dynamics galore.  You'll also find the typical socio-political lyrics that were so favorited by Thrash bands of the day.  These up-state boys follow tried-and-true template pretty well, but I do wish the vocals were more gritty and dynamic, instead of the over-the-top Power Metal style.  Some more bottom-heavy "chugging" guitars would be nice too.  When all is said and done, either you love Tech Metal, or you don't.  Luckily, for me, anything technical is like hipster-kryptonite, so shred away!

sorry, Repka. not your best work


3 comments:

  1. Have you heard the Dutch band Imperium? It's listed as prog power metal but it's pretty thrashy. Album cover is FUGGIN terrible but don't let that put you off - http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Imperium/Too_Short_a_Season/6669/

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound great, minus the wuss-tastic vocals. Of course, I can overlook that. Thanks! This is the first recommendation I've gotten! And you're right, the artwork is awful. The yin yang really is the crowning turd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new header/slogan, dude. And I like the cover of this album.

    ReplyDelete