Sunday, January 29, 2012

Inside Out - No Spiritual Surrender

Unless you're really into Hardcore, you might not know that Zach de la Rocha used to sing for one of the best and most important "Youth Crew" bands out of California.  What also might surprise you is that Seminal band only released one amazing EP before disbanding a year later.  So far ahead of their time, this EP (with some cleaner production) could be considered Modern Hardcore even by today's standards.  The breakdowns, the pinch-harmic leads are all very Metallic, but the lyrics and vocals are pure Hardcore Punk; harkening back to the early 80's golden age.  This effort combines the two genres in the best possible way; the musicianship and bottom-heaviness of Metal with the energy and honesty of Hardcore.   I've always liked Zach's harsh screams, and here, he's even better than he would become with 'Rage.  I can't believe  I haven't posted about this earlier.   This record is sort of the Hardcore equivalent of Antichrist or Privilege of Evil; an almost untouchable scene classic.  It's that good



like a sturgeon

3 comments:

  1. YES. My brother was a huge Rage fan in the early nineties and introduced me to this. I can always count on the title track when I'm in a bad mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no problem, bro-hams.

    ReplyDelete