Friday, January 6, 2012

Invocator - Excursion Demise

So much thrashing, I feel like a caught swordfish.  But this one isn't quite as high-brow as the last few.  It's more of a compromise between my recent trend and this blog's Death Metal "normalcy".  Invocator are another one of those old bands that've found new life thanks to blogs and youtube.  This album was likely overshadowed by the bigger, more seminal releases of '91, but thanks to the internet, you can now rediscover what you had never heard of in the first place!  Jokes aside, these Danes can really play.  While not quite "Prog" yet at this stage,  their synchronicity and songwriting are still suffocatingly tight. True, it sounds like what you would expect a '91 Death/Thrash record to sound like, but is by no means bad or boring.  You're still gonna get riff after palm-muted riff, bipolar tempos, and that "extensive vamping" that we all love.

    

3 comments:

  1. I can't get enough of this band, the next album is even better in my opinion. What's your take on later Danish stuff like Iniquity (another band I can't get enough of)? Once again, this post is money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Denmark kind of falls short (in terms of Metal) compared to their neighbor countries. Although I do like Undergang a lot. Iniquity is pretty cool, but they can't really hold my attention like Invocator though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to think that but I started digging around and was pleasantly surprised, they ain't the sloths I thought they were! I hear ya about Iniquity as I used to be the same but recently, something clicked, especially with 'Serenadium,' it's so ugly, thick and primal. Anyway, my other fave Danish thrashers are Artillery!

    ReplyDelete