Sunday, December 18, 2011

Heartless - Hell is Other People

Alright, since I got such a good response from all of you coming out of the woodwork, I'm gonna keep this rollin'.  But you guys have to engage me more.  Comments, recommendations, make fun of me, whatever.  It makes reading blogs more fun, I promise.

I first heard of this band through this big fancy website's "year's best" list.  I wonder how this release passed me by, because it's totally up my alley.  A modern Powerviolence/Hardcore hybrid that I almost always love.    And on Southern Lord?  Man, they're really shining these days, instead of releasing unoriginal Drone and Doom like they used to.  Stylistically, it's pretty similar to PV contemporaries Weekend Nachos and Mind Eraser.  Like those bands, you can also tell that their roots are in Metallic Hardcore from the "muscular" attack and vocal delivery.  Ironically, I wish they would actually slow down a bit and keep the blast-beats to a minimum, as it's during the traditional Hardcore or "d-beat" parts that they sound best.  Whatever direction they choose, I'm looking forward to hearing more.


closer to the heart

No comments:

Post a Comment