Monday, April 18, 2011

Throne of Ahaz - Nifelheim

I don't know about you, but when I search for a Black Metal album, I'm not looking for something particularly original or challenging; I just want something dark and cold to pull my spirit down to it's ugliest depths.  Throne of Ahaz's Nifelheim does just that.  This album serves as a missing link between the simpler, primitive styles of Mayhem and Darkthrone, and the more epic and melodic styles of Gorgoroth and Disseection.  For being such a rare album for the so long, it's actually quite accessible by Black Metal standards: the riffs are easy to follow, the pace is varied, and the production is more "present" and less reverb-soaked than the norm.  With that being said, this isn't at all some Dimmu-style slick fakery, it's just you don't have to "squint your ears" trying to hear individual notes, they're right there slapping you in the face.  Overall, this is an excellent debut album that will speak to the eternal bleak winter that is your sex life.



link from frostdomain's inferno (R.I.P.)

No comments:

Post a Comment