Monday, April 4, 2011

Iron Lung - Sexless//No Sex

This is the Premier Powerviolence band here.  I've been a fan ever since I saw this power-duo in a Minneapolis basement six years ago. Iron Lung (which is a great name, by the way) play a modern Powerviolence style with lots of time changes and dissonance, which makes me suspect a Mathcore influence.  The bulk of the songs here are straight-forward blasting, broken by occasional (non-metallic) mosh-friendly parts.  The overall sound is a little too "lean", leaving me with a "where's the beef?" feeling; but to be fair, it is the norm for the style.  They've dropped the long, ambient intros found on the last LP, which is always a plus in my book (we all know ambience and long dialog is just filler bullshit).  They've even dropped those long intros from their shows too, leaving much more time for insulting banter from the singer/drummer.  Honestly, his sarcastic humor is a major component of every show, I've even been told they released a tape of just his stage banter!  I really wish he would incorporate that feeling into his actual albums... maybe in the future.




the young and the sexless

No comments:

Post a Comment