Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nightbringer - Hierophany of the Open Grave

Isn't it so satisfying when, after hours of blog exploring, you finally find something that doesn't sound like everyone else?  I certainly feel rewarded when that happens to me, even if it's a short-lived feeling.  This is Black Metal in the truest sense of the word.  The feel and energy are a constant pitch black married with a suffactingly thick atmosphere.  The result will have you in that familiar, trance-like morose state.  Unlike most Metal, which focuses on guitar riffs to carry most of the song, this album relies on tone, written music and production value equally to drive it's point across.  This approach may not be new, but it is seldomly done well; with only a handful of efforts by Gorgoroth, Wodensthrone, and Demoncy coming to mind as successes.  Nightbringer might describe themselves as "Orhtodox", but this ain't your dad's Black Metal.



my tongue slays

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know these guys had a new record out. killer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't even heard of them 4 days ago. I can thank youtube for suggesting this band to me.

    ReplyDelete