Monday, September 19, 2011

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Agony

I didn't pay any attention to this album when it was first leaked a couple months ago, as I was never a fan of the band.  They always seemed like "just another brutal tech band".  So why have I changed my opinion?  Well, they've finally found that extra element that lets their music "speak".  I'm talking about a string section.  You read right, the brutish world of Death Metal has finally infiltrated the suit-and-tie affair known as Classical Music.  Thankfully, they've done so while keeping most of their previous brutality intact.  The strings aren't some out-of-place overdub, they're an integral part of the music and (rightfully) sit on an equal audial level with the other instruments.  Fleshgod Apocalypse have succeeded where Therion and Augury have failed; that is to create Orchestral Death Metal that "works". 


4 comments:

  1. Fleshgod Apocalypse have always had classical/string influence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they've always had that influence, but it's more pronounced now. also, the strings aren't just used occasionally anymore, they're a focal point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fair enough. You seemed to focus on them "re-defining" their sound drastically when the string section is what made me see how special they were back when Oracles was released. I think if you went back and listened to Oracles and Mafia again now after truly appreciating Agony you'd see how great it all is. I often don't know I'm tapping my feet to the drums until my calves are burning and I look down and make the realization...

    Francesco Paoli is one of my favorite musicians in tech-death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Augury aren't orchestral, just progressive.

    ReplyDelete