Thursday, June 23, 2011

Soilent Green - Inevitable Collapse in the Presence of Conviction

Honestly, I've never really been a fan of Soilent Green, but twice now they've really impressed me.  The first time was about five years ago when I saw them live.  I wasn't particularly looking forward to their set, but I stayed just to feel like I was getting my money's worth.  You know what, they sounded so clear and tight live, that damned if I wasn't banging my head before their first song was over!  

Of course, the second time was with the release of this album.  Sure, those of  you with skinny pants and beards won't like it because it doesn't sound "tinny" enough and it doesn't have any post-rock meandering, but that's exactly why I like it.  The first thing to notice here is the slick production job of Erik Rutan.  The sound is clear as glass and very fat, totally lacking that "ringy" snare sound preferred by retardo Slam bands, or the endless crash cymbal distortion that most Grind bands seem to enjoy.  Nope, this album actually sounds very listenable; looks like Erik finally found something he's good at (zing).  Beyond that, the drumming and riffery are as tasty as it gets.  This isn't the "heehaw" Soilent Green of the 90's, this is Soilent Green cleaned up, and they clean up pretty good. 

this wins as the worst cover in triple B history
 
 
we don't take kindly to yer type round here

No comments:

Post a Comment