Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Final Fight - Under Attack

This album brings me back to when (Irish accent) I was a wee little boy in the summer 2006.  I was so stoked to be visiting the Bay Area, which I considered to be a liberal utopia at the time.  The recent wave of melodic Posi bands was giving me a fresh take on Hardcore.  One of those bands was Final Fight, and I had been waiting a couple months to see them at the golden temple known as Gilman.  The show was pretty cool, but the best part was just being able to experience a different scene, straightedge. Coming from the old-school and Crust dominated scene in Minneapolis, this new culture was inspiring.  Seeing hardcore kids that were hygienic, sober, and in good health was pretty revolutionary to me.  I knew scenes like this existed, I had just never seen them before, it was like going to a concert for the first time all over again.

Now, about the record: Under Attack is a modern-day classic of Melodic Hardcore.  Although typically short, it's got hooks in spades from all the instruments, without any annoying clean singing.  It keeps a pretty brisk pace with occasional moderate-chunk mosh parts to give some dynamics.  Short songs, plenty of time changes, memorable riffs and rhythms, this album never get's boring (except for that long chord loop at the end, but hey, nothing's perfect).  This style may be an acquired taste (even for Hardcore die-hards), but if you like your Hardcore with hooks and a positive message, this is for you.



link

No comments:

Post a Comment