Monday, July 2, 2012

Witchrist - The Grand Tormentor

Have you guys ever put salad dressing on a sandwich?  If you haven't, you're really missing out.  I just took my bland supermarket sub to the next level by serving it with a side of Caesar dipping sauce.  What's next, bleu cheese?  The possibilities are endless!

I really didn't expect to like this record.  Their debut "Beheaded Ouroboros" bored me so much that I didn't even bother to download it for free.  Knowing that bands (no matter how supremely kult) do usually mature and diversify their sound is what led me to try it out.  This is exactly the case with The Grand Tormentor.  The production has been cleaned up, the speed is more varied, and the riffs are more memorable and palatable.  Witchrist haven't evolved into Death Metal royalty just yet, but have gone beyond their stylistic indulgence and become a formidable name in the international scene.  Together with Ulcerate, Witchrist are putting 'Aotearoa on the Death Metal map.




No comments:

Post a Comment