Sunday, April 3, 2011

Impure Wilhelmina - L'amour, La Mort Et L'enfance Perdue

Many thanks to http://goodnoisycore.blogspot.com/ for introducing me to this obscure band.  Here's a band with a terrible name, and very difficult-to-pronounce album title.  More importantly though, it's a huge chunk of riff-heavy Post-Hardcore.  This album sounds like it was made in '95 rather than 2005, but that's not what makes it good.  What really shines here are the EPIC riffs.  The guitars are right out in front  and create such sweet resonance between the diminished and minor chords.  The epic quality of these riffs reminds me of the best Black Metal, a style which I'm sure has influenced the band to some degree.  I mean, I haven't heard a Post-Hardcore band write riffs this good, except for maybe Converge.  There are nice throaty vocals and a decent rhythm section going on too, but they're kind of the "side-salad" to the "meat and potatoes" guitars.  Your old, crappy Pelican album has just been replaced.



can I get more guitar in the monitors please?

No comments:

Post a Comment