Sunday, April 22, 2012

Unleashed - Odalheim

I really didn't expect to like this album, but I gave it a shot and was supremely glad I did.  Man, this band has come a long way since their work in the 90's (these guys can really play their instruments now!).  Truth be told, I never liked this band before.  I always thought they were like the poor man's Grave.  They had that classic Swedish style, but didn't have the songwriting ability to add any substance.  All that has changed now.  Unleashed haven't been reinvigorated, they've been reborn into a new (much better) band.  In fact, Odalheim is so bloated with catchy, inspired riffs that if you would have told me a week ago that this was some new band's debut album, I would have believed you.  They've also seamlessly incorporated a strong Black Metal influence here, and subsequently, display some very refreshing guitar melodies.  If you've grown tired of the "lower-fi than thou" Death Metal of late, march on over to Odalheim!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment