Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Merciless Death - Realm of Terror

I know I've made fun of these guys on here before, but they're actually quite good.  Like me, you're gonna have to look past the fact that they call their fans "hell-thrashers" and wear intentionally dated clothing, because they can still play Thrash like nobody's business.  Stylistically, they're heavily influenced by Slayer and Destruction and sound rather "proto-black/death metal" because of that.  If that makes sense, since it's now 25 years after the fact.  The riffing in particular, with the heavy "hammer-ons" and "pull-offs", lovingly remind me of Destruction's famed, early years.  These guys don't fuck around with the speed either, you'll find no Headbanger's Ball-ready slow tracks.  This is just a straight ripper all the way through.  The older I get, the more I demand originality from bands, but there's always a place in my heart for really well-done derivatives like Merciless Death.  If you liked that Nekromantheon post I did a while ago, you'll like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment